Welcome

A blog created to fulfill the requirements for St FX Master's course 569.67 Selected Topics in Education: Assistive Technology.

Wednesday 6 June 2012

Final Reflections


That's me - I started out as a kitten, an inexperienced innocent in the field of assistive technology and now I feel like a lion: Hear me roar - I've already been to my principal to tell her that I NEED 5 iPads for next year for my students. I actually have the confidence to actually use them. I might even buy a phone with some G's - stop getting kidding yourself - I still like my one way phone and probably will not be turning that in, any time in the near future.

I signed up for this course because it fit my schedule. I didn't really have an interest in assistive technology and face it as an academic high school English teacher, my contacts with special needs students have been limited. I have had a few high functioning autistic students - social stories and a routine seemed to work with them. I have had a number of students with LD, but by the time they get to high school they know what technology works for them and are very capable of ensuring that they can access the technology.

So there I was, week 1 and Barbara was flying through the night throwing words that I didn't understand and expecting me to know stuff that I had never heard about. And then the icing on the cake - the news that we had to create our own Blogs. Being the determined (not stubborn) person that I am, I refused to quit, even though I considered that option. I listened, I experimented and I found success. In the process of completing the course, I increased my comfort and skill levels around the use of computers within an educational setting and I learned a tremendous amount of knowledge about a variety of special needs and the technology that is there to support these students. I was amazed by the applications available to support students in reading and writing. I can't wait to get my hands on an iPad and to share it with my students. I look forward to the inclusion of the interactive textbooks within the classroom experience.

All in all this was one of the most practical courses that I have completed for my Masters. I may even put my name forward for the school planning team - a committee that I have gone out of my way to avoid in the past as I felt that I had little to offer the students and my peers. I am a lion: Hear me roar and keyboard and Inspire and iMovie and...

6 comments:

  1. Wanda, I feel the same way too!!! I was scared at first after that first class when we had an overview of the course and had to create this thing called a blog! But now as I look back, my experience was awesome! You have such a way with words...I love reading your posts! Take care and may see you at some SRSB in-service some day:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ladies. I have learned so much from this course. Barbara, I'm sure wwe will see it other at some inservice. i enjoyed getting to know both of you throough the courses. Antone doing Tribes Training this summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You summed it up nicely Wanda! It has certainly been a steep learning curve. I have enjoyed reading your posts each week!
      Thanks for sharing and all the best!

      Delete
    2. I am Wanda...see you there! Sounds like a great course and it is with Joanne! This will also mark the last course of my Masters! Yippee!

      Delete
  3. Wanda, I can always count on your way with words to ask the questions and say the things my mind thinks but can't always express so clearly! I think we were all lucky to experience this course and while everyone may have taken something different from it, we can all say for sure we learned something new and useful that will benefit ourselves and our students! Great sharing another class with you!

    ReplyDelete